Thursday, July 9, 2009

Puffins!

We had a wonderful trip to Staffa yesterday. The captain of the boat said it might be "a wee bit splashy" on the way out, and we got drenched. Good thing I had my "waterproofs" -- waterproof jacket and over-trousers. It was the first time I've used them. The weather has been wonderful -- no rain to speak of.

Staffa was magnificent. The basalt columns and Fingal's Cave (which inspired Mendelssohn) were fantastic. And the puffins were delightful! They love people because people scare away the seagulls, their main predator. So when people gather on the top of the cliffs (where the puffin nests are), and wait patiently, the puffins will gather on the cliffs, often only a few feet away! They are adorable and make a wonderful cooing sound which reminded me of the contented sound some people make after a good meal. But their finding protection from their enemies at the feet of people reminded me how we find protection from our enemies at the feet of God -- "deliver me from the evil one..."

Tomorrow morning I'll be leaving Iona and heading to Glasgow, and then on to meet Karin in Edinburgh. I can't wait to see her again!

No comments:

Post a Comment