Sunday, June 7, 2009

Off to Luther...

Tomorrow morning (Monday) I will be heading to St. Paul, MN for the "Leading Change" class at Luther Seminary.  I'm excited to begin my sabbatical (even if it is technically a week early), and to take the class.  Here's the class description from the Luther website:

Congregational leaders often find themselves leading in the midst of change, yet are underequipped for leading through such times. While there is an abundance of materials available, few pastors and lay leaders have intentionally crafted their own framework for leading change, one that substantively draws from theological and theoretical resources and/or is sufficient for working with the complexities of change today.
Through presentations, discussions, and case studies, this class will help church leaders develop their own framework for leading change, using both theological and theoretical resources. Because change is always situated in the messiness of ministry, participants are invited to come with a ministry situation that can serve as a living case study. These case studies will not only ground the theology and theory, but will also challenge leaders to develop their learning in the complexity of real-life ministry settings.


Tomorrow's class begins at 1:00pm and goes until 5:00pm.  The three sessions tomorrow include welcome & introductions, the sharing of cases (I assume this is sharing the cases the students are bringing from their ministry settings), the course overview, "Change and Cosmology," and "Your Personal Change Style."
While the class looks inviting, and I'm excited for the sabbatical to start, I'm also feeling a little bit blue as I think about leaving the people of Pella I for a summer.  The student pastor from Calvin Seminary is here, and he's great (he preached a great sermon tonight) and has a great family, but it's hard to let go of Pella I and the people.  Maybe it's good that I'll be away for three days this week before the full sabbatical starts next week Monday -- it will help me to ease out of ministry and into sabbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment