Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sabbatical Send-Off

After I led worship and preached for the last time before the sabbatical, Pella I joined in a "Sabbatical Send-Off Pot-Providence."  It was such a joy to share the excitement and hopes and prayers for the sabbatical.  As always at Pella I, the food was plenteous and delicious, and there were two beautifully decorated cakes.

I was grateful for the gathering, the encouragement, and the assurances of prayers during the sabbatical.  It was a lot of fun -- a great start to the time away.
It was hard to remember to thank everyone who helped to make this sabbatical possible -- Bruce Bandstra, Kristi Roose, Ralph De Haan for all their planning and legwork, Shirley Schutte for all the travel planning, the Council for making the sabbatical available, Pastor Stephen Veldhuis for being "my right arm," Pastor Scott Elgersma our summer intern from Calvin Seminary, the Fellowship Committee for arranging the send-off, and on and on and on.  But mostly I give thanks to God for providing all the details, including the Lilly Endowment funding, to make this happen -- soli Deo gloria!

I shared one of the reasons for the sabbatical.  Pella I is over 140 years old, but in all those years only 2 pastors served for 10 years (Rev. C. De Leeuw 1910-19 and Rev. J. De Haan Sr. 1919-1929) -- no one served longer than that.  One important reason for this sabbatical is so that it might be possible, Lord willing, that I will be the first to serve Pella I for more than 10 years.

Today is bittersweet.  I'm excited about the sabbatical, I'm already feeling more relaxed and joyful, but I'm also sad that I won't be enjoying the Pella I congregation for the next 9 weeks.  Still, God has provided well through Pastor Steve, Pastor Scott, and the Council.  The congregation is in good hands.  I'm looking forward to seeing what God will do in and through Pella I this summer and, especially, beyond this summer.  God has great plans for us!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment